"Show me Your strong love in wonderful ways, O Savior of all those seeking Your help against their foes. Protect me as You would the pupil of Your eye; hide me in the shadow of Your wings as You hover over me." Psalm 17:7-8

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Putting Up a Spiritual Umbrella - Part 2

"Our children too shall serve Him, for they shall hear from us about the wonders of the Lord; generations yet unborn shall hear of all the miracles He did for us."  Psalm 22:30

The burning questions in my mind as I bustled about the house included:  How do I prepare to welcome this precious human being into the world?  More importantly, how do I effectively express God’s love to him or her from this moment on?  How do I as an expectant grandmother begin to provide a spiritual covering?  The Lord answered these questions with a picture.  Earlier in the day I partially filled a hollow umbrella base with a sack of concrete.  One cupful at a time I poured in the dusty mixture through a small hole in the reservoir.  I had my son carry it outside for me and place it under the table where I intended to use the umbrella.  Then I added water until the base was full.  Finally, I put the support pole for the umbrella through the hole in the table and down into the stand.  My son suggested we raise the umbrella, but I felt it was too windy and wanted to give the concrete a chance to set up.  Around the pole in the center of the table I placed a decorative ring filled with citronella candles.  I remarked to my son that I didn’t want to leave the umbrella up considering the gusty conditions; I wanted it to still be around for tea parties and picnics with my new grandchild!! 

God replayed this scene complete with the conversation with my son.   Then He indicated I was to similarly prepare a spiritual umbrella, a covering, for my daughter and her family – to include my grandchild.  He stressed the importance of the sturdy base (foundation).  I sensed this meant to continue focusing on establishing myself firmly in Him, and in what matters to Him.  In doing so, greater stability crucial to countering winds of testing and adversity, will result.  This will bless my grandchild far more than anything material.  Adding water to the mix represents the Holy Spirit and my allowing Him to continually saturate and integrate my life until dust becomes Rock solid.  A united life will form the basis for and support of a substantial spiritual umbrella, one under which fellowship (even tea parties and picnics!) will be enjoyed.  Just as citronella candles repel insects and provide pleasing light, prayer that originates in intimacy will fend off the enemy and keep the light of truth central.  

Listening to my Savior settled and equipped me.  He reordered my priorities in minutes, and enabled me to rest in knowing that abiding is the real key to loving my family well.  My role is to depend on my Father, lose myself in Jesus, and choose a joy-filled life in the Spirit.  What a relief!! 

Hmm, now, what shall my grandmother name be??


Rest in the shadow, Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment