"Show me Your strong love in wonderful ways, O Savior of all those seeking Your help against their foes. Protect me as You would the pupil of Your eye; hide me in the shadow of Your wings as You hover over me." Psalm 17:7-8

Friday, December 10, 2010

Communion Sunday

Little paper ghosts hang by threads in neighborhood trees
To life they spring in the autumn breeze.
So, too, my heart yearns to be animated by You
For Your life to enter me afresh
The wine Your blood, the bread Your flesh.
I sing from the depths, "You're not alone, You're home,"
Exploring what it means to be Yours and Yours alone.

You welcome me Home, my secrets told
My heart You hold.  Our life unfolds.
Home is You -- I'm entering in -- oh the bliss
Safe in Your arms, my peace Your kiss.


Pulling into my empty drive I gather a few supplies,
Communion tears still stream hot from my lovesick eyes.
Leaving for I know not where, anticipating time we'll share,
I watch as clouds roll in and love hangs heavy in the air.

I note the tips of roadside weeds have turned snowflake white.
Alone I drive in wait for You in the haunting quiet.
We park just outside a weathered Victorian gate.
The fence now leans in, giving way to time's weight.

Inside stately trees spread in reverence their graceful arms
As fall's wind strips them of their golden charms.
To Earth like manna they fall.
I am nourished.  It is lovely.  I'm in awe.

On a floor of floral lace, butterflies waltz their last dance
Meanwhile, You are here,
Flowers surrender their fragrance and we romance.

Startled by a rap on my window, my heart of a sudden afraid
A man gently reminds entrance to his property is forbade.
I know better than he perhaps, this is holy ground,
And assure I've not trespassed, then turn my car around.

I head for another place to tryst
My heart full yet still longing, for by God I've been kissed.
Oh what a love affair I might have missed
Had I opted loneliness to resist.

(Written Communion Sunday, October 2010, after church.  My soul longs for You, Lord!!)

Rest in the shadow, Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment