"Show me Your strong love in wonderful ways, O Savior of all those seeking Your help against their foes. Protect me as You would the pupil of Your eye; hide me in the shadow of Your wings as You hover over me." Psalm 17:7-8

Friday, April 22, 2011

GOOD Friday

To See Him Is To Love Him
Good Friday for me began with a bridal shower.  My daughter and I attended together and afterwards ran a couple of errands.  Then we went to an interactive prayer room where we visited the stations of the cross.  Stepping into the darkened building on a sun drenched day dilated my heart immediately.  From the Garden of Gethsemane I traveled a dusty path to a tight room filled with the voices of a throng gone mad, “Crucify Him!!”  The same message, hatefully etched blood red on a ragged piece of cardboard hung on the wall.   It was difficult to breathe as I imagined the crowd pressing in like a pack of pit bulls, bloodthirsty.  Then as directed, I listened and in and among the crowd I heard my own voice.  Sobered, I moved on and contemplated Jesus’ appearance before Pilate.  With every step toward the cross, I heard Jesus say resolutely, “Thy will be done, Father!!”  Only a few of the horrors He endured were depicted in words and symbols on the walls leading to the next station.  At this point my eyes painfully viewed the passion on screen, my Perfect Lord tortured mercilessly beyond recognition and then nailed to a blood-soaked cross.  Tears began to flow!!  To the left of this station a tangle of chicken wire hung from ceiling to floor, as though writhing in agony, mangled and twisted tendrils laying razor sharp upon the floor.  I meditated on a few of man’s sins scrawled in red and affixed to this vivid reminder of God’s mercy in delivering men from all that entangles, ensnares, and destroys him.  Moving again to my left I entered a candlelit room through a torn veil, the way opened for me to experience intimate communion with my Lord.  I took the cup and the bread and sat down at the foot of the cross.  Then I looked through the “torn veil” to my right and saw the tangle of wire framed like a bittersweet memory in the opening.  An indescribable wave of love and gratitude came over me.  Thank You, Sweet, Sweet Jesus, for the cross!!!!!

What a Joy to Be His!!

My daughter and I both left the building tears drying salty upon our cheeks in the afternoon sun.  Twenty minutes in a darkened room, the love of our Savior wrapped tight about us, we departed blissfully engaged brides, showered with grace by the One come to save us!!




Blessed In the Shadow of the Cross,
Terry




For more inspirational reading, visit Spiritual Sundays at www.bloggerspirit.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. This is truly a emotional time. WOW, it must of been a wonderful experience going through the torn veil for communion. Someone put a lot of thought for that evening.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful experience. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete